9 responses

1. Barry L. Casey
    May 13, 2019

Lovely, yes! Such a satisfying and affirming essay, closing with a clever play with meaning and etymology.

2. Phyllis Brotherton
    May 14, 2019

Affirmation and confirmation. What I needed today! Thank you!

3. David Licata
    May 14, 2019

Fantastic. The doubt of worthiness that crept into your consciousness when you “should” have been satisfied with having published a book at all, “should” be relatable to anyone who has submitted anything anywhere. Speaking for myself, you nailed it.
    And the penultimate sentence is killer! The delta of the essay, one might say.

4. marianna crane
    May 17, 2019

Thank you for writing this–giving permission to the writer to write whatever she wants to write. To write what haunts us especially touched a cord with me. A lovely written essay!

5. Jan Priddy
    May 17, 2019

Thank you for this. It is beautiful and smart and it takes me usefully to its destination.

6. Suzanne Farrell Smith
    May 17, 2019

Yes! So perfectly stated. I also shared with a friend who is concerned by similar talk of themes and through lines in short story collections.

7. Kaye Curren
    May 18, 2019

I was immediately drawn to your title as I had self-published a collection of essays. I had to know I hadn’t written a novel (and never would), had no definite “through line,” and probably would not have a following. But I wrote what mattered to me. I still enjoy having it around to revisit occasionally. It’s my life. What can I say?
    Thanks for a relatable and helpful article.

8. Jenna McGuiggan
    May 29, 2019

This is such a lovely and heartening piece! Thanks for writing it (and for writing your book).

9. Sherrey Meyer
    June 5, 2019

Absolutely affirming and confirming, and just what this writer needed to “hear.”