15 responses

1. Jan Priddy
    May 5, 2020

Well. You made me cry. That painful mix of childhood resentment and absolute love. Thank you.

• Tony Tallent
      May 9, 2020

Indeed and agree. A defined cadence to this story that deepens its impact.

• Michelle Myers
        May 15, 2020

Thank you so much for your comment, Tony. This essay started as a spoken word poem which I altered slightly for Brevity. I’m so glad to hear that you feel the cadence adds to the emotional presence of the piece. Sending peace and light, Michelle

• Michelle Myers
      May 15, 2020

Dear Jan, Thank you so much for your comment and for reading my piece. Thank you for helping me to keep my mom’s memory alive. Sending peace and light, Michelle

• Michelle Myers
      May 15, 2020

Dear Jan, I think I may have clicked “Reply” to the wrong person when I originally sent my message to you. I’m so sorry–I’m trying again. Thank you so much for your comment and for reading my essay. Thank you for understanding the complex love being expressed in the piece and for helping me to keep my mom’s memory alive. Sending peace and light, Michelle

2. Phyllis
    May 11, 2020

Definitely brought tears to my eyes. Well done on this story.

• Michelle Myers
      May 15, 2020

Dear Phyllis, Thank you so much for your comment. It means a lot to me that you could feel the emotions in my essay. Sending peace and light, Michelle

3. Debbie
    May 16, 2020

I am blessed to have heard you perform this poem. I cried then and am tearful now. Such emotion for the love and loss of your Mother.

• Michelle Myers
      May 18, 2020

Thank you so much, Debbie. It means so much to me–thank for all your support over the years and for listening to me in all of the ways that I have shared my heart about my mom <3

4. Debra
    June 28, 2020

This is beautiful, and I am hoping to share it with my students this fall when we talk about the power of names/naming…

5. Michelle Myers
    August 13, 2020

Hi Debra, thank you so much for your comment. I would love it if you shared this piece with your students. In addition to thinking about their own names and the power of naming, I hope your students also discover a new-found love for their parents. Our parents gave us–their children–so much of themselves. And we can never truly know just how much they sacrificed their hopes and dreams for themselves so that we could have our own lives and futures. Thank you again for considering sharing my essay with your students. Please let me know if I can help in any way. Sending peace and light, Michelle

6. Denise Dion
    September 5, 2020

Not much thaws the frozen grief…… then along comes your brevity masterpiece.
    MeeSHYAH thank you

• Michelle Myers
      May 4, 2021

Denise, sorry for my late reply–it’s been a hectic year of teaching. Thank you so much for your kind words. I get the sense that you can personally understand the grief that I express in this piece regarding the loss of my mom. I hope in sharing our grief even for just a brief moment, we were able to hold a virtual space of support and comfort. Sending love and light, Michelle.

7. Jean
    September 7, 2020

Thank you for an emotional story. I hope to do a good job of submitting an assignment where we analyze and respond to a creative nonfiction essay for school. I am an adult learner and a military wife. I have a grown daughter and I feel we have drifted far from each other. I hope she could be proud of her Asian mom, too.

• Michelle Myers
      May 4, 2021

Jean, I’m very sorry for my late reply–I’ve been caught up with online teaching since September, and my life has been overwhelmed with prepping for classes and grading assignments. Thank you so much for sharing with me about your daughter. I’m very sorry that the two of you have drifted apart. I hope that the ebbs and flows of life bring you close to each other once again. After my mom passed away, a friend of mine shared a beautiful passage about how it’s a miracle that our mothers are our mothers–that we are like grains of sand on a beach and how wondrous that we two grains of sand shared the same space in the time that we had. I hope that one day you and your daughter are able to cherish each other’s presence in your lives once again. I also hope you did well on your assignment. Sending love and light, Michelle.